I have outlined the direction of our activities around our technology platform which is productively used in more than 70.000 system deployments world-wide in one of my previous blog posts. SAP NetWeaver 7.4 is now the next step of this roadmap delivered to our partner and customer ecosystem.
SAP NetWeaver 7.4, now being the new NetWeaver go-to-release for all existing NetWeaver customers, comprises new versions of the application hubs like SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse, SAP NetWeaver Portal, SAP NetWeaver Process Orchestration and SAP NetWeaver Gateway, the Application Servers ABAP and Java, as well as Lifecycle Management, SAP NetWeaver Identity Management and Single Sign-On as well as new UI capabilities and services, in particular “SAPUI5“.
SAP NetWeaver 7.4 is a “non-disruptive evolution” that extends the “classical” NetWeaver into the “dimensions” of HANA, Cloud and Mobile. It continues to support all databases but is now optimized to optimally support SAP HANA. With ABAP 7.4 optimized for SAP HANA it is the foundation for SAP Business Suite powered by SAP HANA and SAP Business Information Warehouse powered by SAP HANA. With this it plays also an important role in our new SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud offering. In addition, also the SAP NetWeaver Java-based Hub solutions will run on SAP HANA.
During the development phase we put a strong focus on a number of specific cross scenarios that substantially improve the development experience, lower the total cost of development and operations and best support hybrid on-premise/Cloud scenarios.
The most important SAP NetWeaver 7.4 cross scenarios include:
- Seamless end-to-end development experience across components based on the Eclipse Development Environment including running sample scenarios provided for trial access in the Cloud, complemented by documentation, tutorials and working code. You might want to check my related blog post.
- Easy deployment to Virtual Private Clouds like Amazon Web Services or (soon) HANA Enterprise Cloud with the SAP Cloud Appliance Library
- Further improved support of Business Continuity to minimize the business downtime in customer landscapes
- Optimal support for hybrid application scenarios (On-premise/Cloud) with SAP HANA Cloud Integration as already used by SuccessFactors to integrate with SAP Business Suite
- Easy creation of Mobile applications with SAP HANA Cloud using SAPUI5, SAP NetWeaver Gateway and SAP HANA Cloud Gateway and SAP Mobile Platform Cloud Edition
- One Identity and Access Management with NetWeaver Identity Managament and Single-Sign On, spanning federation of user data from on-premise to cloud and allowing seamless Single Sign-On capabilities
You might want to check out the new SAP NetWeaver 7.4 “landing page” on the SAP Community Network to get in-depth details about what’s new and exciting in SAP NetWeaver 7.4.
That much for today…